New Euro VI diesel cars producing near zero harmful emissions, some of which are cleaner than the equivalent petrol version (Reference 1 below), will be banned under Bristol’s proposals (Ref. 2).
ABD Environment spokesman Paul Biggs said: “The Alliance of British Drivers (ABD) are calling on the government to reject Bristol’s proposals, which will cause huge inconvenience to drivers and businesses. Real world emissions tests by ADAC of Germany demonstrated that some diesel cars tested were cleaner than the equivalent petrol models, yet they are facing a ban in Bristol. It’s also clear that Clean Air Zones in general need a rethink as they take at least an order of magnitude more in revenue out of local economies than even the claimed value of benefits.”
The ABD have previously highlighted unpublicised facts that: the Committee on the Medical Effects of Air Pollution (COMEAP, 2018) cannot agree on a link between NO2 and mortality because the evidence is so weak (Ref. 3), the ‘40,000 deaths due to air pollution’ claim is completely false (Ref. 4), statistical correlation between air pollution and health outcomes using extremely unreliable epidemiology isn’t proof of causation (Ref. 5), and there is a clear correlation between life expectancy and wealth even in areas with the highest levels of pollution (Ref. 6).
Notes for Editors
(1) New tests reveal major diesel cars produce almost ZERO dangerous emissions – and some are cleaner than petrol models: https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/8512433/new-tests-reveal-major-diesel-cars-produce-almost-zero-dangerous-emissions-and-some-are-cleaner-than-petrol-models/
(2) Bristol clean air diesel ban plan is approved: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-50292596
(3) Associations of long-term average concentration of nitrogen dioxide with mortality (2018) – COMEAP summary: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nitrogen-dioxide-effects-on-mortality/associations-of-long-term-average-concentrations-of-nitrogen-dioxide-with-mortality-2018-comeap-summary
(4) Stop repeating the 40,000 air pollution deaths lie says the ABD: https://www.abd.org.uk/stop-repeating-40000-air-pollution-deaths-lie-says-abd/
(5) Scare pollution: the latest epidemiological fallacy on asthma and nitrogen dioxide: https://www.abd.org.uk/press-release-scare-pollution-the-latest-epidemiological-fallacy-on-asthma-and-nitrogen-dioxide/
(6) Life expectancy data shows there is no air pollution health crisis: https://www.abd.org.uk/life-expectancy-data-no-air-pollution-health-crisis/